Listed below are our usual areas for volunteering. To find out more about our current needs, please contact Sandra at 252-527-2119.
Volunteer within the Church
- Nursery Volunteer Serve on a rotating basis as a helper with our nursery staff during worship.
- Sunday School Teachers/Assistants for Children and Youth Be a lead teacher, substitute, or helper with our children’s Sunday School Classes.
- Small Group Leaders Lead a small group centered around a favorite activity, including a time of fellowship, prayer for each other, meeting at least twice monthly.
- Music Ministry Member Join the music ministry of the church by participating in the main worship choir, handbells, or instrumental groups
- Ushers and Greeters Serve on a rotating basis to welcome and assist newcomers and members during worship services.
- Church Office Volunteers Help with the bulletin, newsletter, or answering the phone.
- Transportation Helpers Provide transportation to medical appointments for those needing assistance.
Queen Street has been involved in mission at Southeast Elementary School, a Title 1 school in our close proximity, since 2001. Southeast draws from an economically disadvantaged population, where parental involvement has been a struggle. Our mission has been to support the children and staff through various activities including the following: book purchase and support of the Battle of the Books team, maintenance of an emergency clothing closet, reading to kindergarten classes weekly, library book purchases, monthly birthday celebrations for students, monthly prayer cards for all staff, provision of school supplies in coordination with our United Methodist Women, “welcome back” cookies for staff, and twice yearly staff appreciation luncheons. We have also extended our involvement to include monthly reading to preschoolers at Teachers Memorial school, where 3- and 4-year olds are read to and given a book to keep. With the varied times and opportunities, there is a place for any church member to become involved.
Other Outreach Ministries
In addition to the activities at Southeast Elementary School, Queen Street Church is also involved with outreach ministries through financial contributions to Meals on Wheels, the Kinston High School Bible Class, and ICOR (Inter-church Outreach). ICOR was established with the help of Queen Street Church to provide financial assistance to community members. In addition to financial contributions to ICOR, many of our church members volunteer time for interviewing applicants for assistance. Other financial contributions for outreach ministry are provided through our yearly giving to the United Methodist Church through apportionments and donations by United Methodist Women.